Saturday, October 17, 2015

October 16 Nuwara Eliya


We booked a tour day with our hotel and we were underway at 5:30. We drove to Horton Plains where Joan and I did a 9 km hike. We started at 7 AM and by 9 AM we were at Lands End where the plains drop off in a single cliff for 1 km and you can see forever. On a good day you can see the ocean – about 150 km away. It was a good day but I couldn't see the ocean. Maybe if we had been 2 hours earlier? We continued on the walk until Baker's Falls. The falls were 200 meters off the path but when I got to the viewing station,
Viewung Station at Lands End

Land's End

Baker's Falls

Root infested Trail

Rocky Path
half the falls were missing, There was an old muddy trail which I followed down to the riverside and then some rocks leading down river and at last I could see the top of the falls. Now I'll see if my neutral density filter works.
The guide book promised a gentle walk through the park on a well marked trail. The reality was a difficult walk over boulders and soggy ground and at one point a steep climb up a slippery root strewn forest. I even had to pick up the old tourist in front of me after he fell over backwards in the roots and couldn't get back up. When Joan and I were finished our legs were a bit rubbery.
After the walk we had a Waterfalls tour. The drive through the mountains to the waterfalls was spectacular- tea hills all around.   We saw some small waterfalls and some larger ones but  were too far away to really appreciate them.  We did see close up three waterfalls just down the road from each other which were pretty nice.













 .

No comments: