Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 10th Tissa to Arugam Bay


I had arranged a taxi for the drive from Tissa to Arugam Bay at the local taxi stand. I wanted to find out what the bottom line price was, since I reckon I have been overpaying for Taxis. They wanted $80, I offered $50. They didn't budge so I left. Two blocks down the street a driver approached and offered $65. I took his phone number and didn't commit. Three blocks down the street I got an offer for $75 from another driver. Back at the hotel I told the houseboy I had an offer for $65 and he agreed it was a very good price. I phoned and booked. When the taxi showed up it was old, with no air conditioning. It was comfortable but we drove with the windows open all the way. Joan thinks I should have paid $10 more for air-conditioning.
Before I tossed him some bananas

After I tossed him some Bananas

The local bat tree in Tissa
The drive was interesting, After an hour the driver stopped and bought a kilo of bananas. He said it was for elephants. Sure enough 50km down the road there is an elephant standing by the side of the road accepting donations. The driver threw him a bunch and he posed for pictures, then on we went. Ten km later another elephant was by the road. I threw him some bananas but he didn't like my style and he backed away. But I did get a picture. These were wild elephants at the edge of a national park. They can be dangerous but Sri Lankans love their elephants and whenever they see an elephant (wild or tame) they get excited. It's the local beaver.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha okay Dad we'll work on your underhand banana toss when you're home!

My second point is to question the local beaver? Hmmm...I would definitely say Canadians get more excited to see a Moose or Deer than we do a beaver...but hey, to each their own. :)