Wednesday, October 14, 2015

October 13 Ella


Start of the 300 steps
We were walking up “little Adam's Peak by 6:15AM.  The uphill was gentle enough but then we hit the steps, about 300 of them. Joan breezed up the steps with no problem. Then a little steep path and we were at the top. Being early in the morning, the air was clear and there were no clouds at all. Great for pictures. Much to my surprise we were back in our hotel before 10 am for breakfast.
In the afternoon we boarded a rickety old train that took us 30km to the provincial capital. It was a 1 hour trip through the mountains. We went third class because there was no first class. It cost $0.40 for both us. All the windows were open, so I often had my head out the window taking pictures. So did everyone else. On the way back we bought 2nd class tickets at a cost of $0.80 for both. But the attendant insisted that Joan and I sit in first class. The first class was empty so he probably wanted company. He told us he made $150 per month in his job. I didn't want to tell him what I made – and I don't even work!
Ella Rock


Ella Gap
9 Arches Bridge

4 comments:

nancy b said...

Well you both are amazing. Hiking and touring the countryside does not seem to tire you. You are like the Energizer bunny-batteries that keep on going. I love all your photos. How do they keep their boats so clean and colourful!! Awesome photo of the dog taking a siesta at "Ella Gap". The view is so crisp and right up front and personal. I am thoroughly enjoying my union breaks by checking out your blog. Tonight is the deciding game for the Blue Jays back in Toronto. And guess what's in the forecast for this week-end ------ snow flurries Yuk!! Enjoy and travel safe.

Jean &Tim said...

Like the pictures, especially the bright colours. Siberian swans landed in Gloucestershire last weekend, the earliest ever seen. They are now predicting the coldest winter for 50 years. It snowed here in Wuelfrath yesterday. If I were you I would start planning on staying out there until next spring. Have fun.
Jean & Tim.

Sharon said...

Tim you must be enjoying your visit to the tea fields. Joan you're going to be in shape by the time you return. Good for you. Miss you Have fun. Sharon

Unknown said...

Wow that looks like a great train ride. Nice work on the hiking!