Thursday, October 15, 2015

October 15 Ella to Nuwara Eliya by train


I got up early to walk in the tea fields and enjoy the morning cool. As I was heading up a hill to get a better view of the fields, a young man passes me. He worked as a cook in a resort 1 km further up and he walked up to his resort and led me to the viewing patio. It was a great view of the Ella Gap down the mountains.
Waterfalls at Ella Gap


Out the window
After breakfast we boarded the train to our next stop. We traveled 65 KM along the mountains, at an average of 25kph with all the windows wide open. Its fun to stick your head out the window of a moving train. We went from 4000 ft up to 6000 ft. and it is noticeably cooler up here. The town is an old British hill station and has a horse track, golf course, a Victoria Park and lots of wet weather.
From the train

1 comment:

Jean &Tim said...

Hope you are feeling a lot better Joan. Try to make less noise next time because a bloke really needs his sleep.
I once made the mistake of leaving a hotel room light on and a window open. The corner above the light was black with insects so I opened both windows, switched the light off and left for an hour. When I returned the insects had all left for the nearest street light!
You made me envious of your train ride. I used to like leaning out of the window when I was younger.
Jean & Tim