Friday, November 8, 2013

Thursday November 7


Male Orang-utan

Sandra with baby

Our second day of trekking started with steep uphill but we were ready and so were the guides.  They split up immediately and the young one went looking for Orang-utans and the head guide lead us uphill slowly.  They kept in touch via cell phones and we soon had a destination.  Even the guides get excited about an Orang-utan viewing.  Because I’m chief photographer I had to run after the young guide and we went way past our destination.  Then we had to turn around and run back.  Spotting an Orang-utan in a tree is not easy.  Unless they move, they are very well camouflaged.  Eventually we caught up with a male Orang-utan and tracked him for about 30 minutes. He never came down so I have no good portraits.   We continued our trek and came across a mother and baby.  Sandra the mother is 20 years old and the baby was 2 months old.  The mothers stay with the babies for 6 years.  Sandra was carrying her baby under her arm so we saw him but he was so small we could only see limbs sticking out.  I was taking pictures and checking the results when I notice spots on the pictures.  When I checked the lens it was dripping with sweat.  I tried to wipe it clean but that made it worse.   All the clothing I wore was soaked with sweat.   I had to pull a dry sweatshirt out of my bag to dry my lens.  Sandra put on quite a good show so we followed her for 30 minutes and then called it a day.  Our guides certainly listened to us.  We had a lunch we had requested and a descent from the mountaintop that Tarzan would have been proud of. 

    Later in the afternoon I was lazing in the hammock on our balcony when two monkeys visited me.  The male put on quite a show.  He humped the female 4 times in 15 minutes and then rested.  The female was a bitch.  She was very aggressive and charged me 5 times.  Since I was still lying in the hammock with my camera, I flashed her close-up right in the face.  After a truce was declared she left me alone and I eventually went inside.                 
           
The Bitch
                                        

No comments: