Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saturday November 9



Joan and Barb flew back to Singapore this morning and I stayed in Medan to start a 3 week bike trip.  I spent the day shopping; what an exhausting experience.  I bought a brand new bike for $150 after 2 false starts.  Used bikes were not available, but new bikes start at $100.  Unfortunately the first bikes I tried didn’t have all the gears working and the shop didn’t want to fix them before I bought.  The third shop was much better and I got a mountain bike with all 21 gears working.  I just about finished everything on my shopping list, but I’m still missing a helmet and a decent map.  I was too tired to shop any more but the last purchase I made was a positive experience.  I bought a fanny pack for riding and as I left the shop 6 sales girls and the manger were lined up to say thank you and make a little bow.  I did feel special!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the reports and the pics. I reckon you will be busy for a few weeks when you get back and start sorting through those photos but I'm sure they will make a fantastic photobook. I'd like to see a bike that only costs a hundred dollars. My newest bike magazin shows some ligtweight road bikes and there is one for 16500Euros. I'll stick to heavier models.

Enjoy the bike ride.

Jean & Tim.

nancy b said...

Enjoyed the jungle news. Last monkey I came in contact with was in Cozemel (Mexico) on the beach. I made the sort of mistake of having my photo taken with the "beast" . LOL as he proceeded to have a "whizzz" down my back just as the photgrapher said "smile". Needless to say I required a splash in the warm ocean waters immediately after. Gosh you are brave, Tim, to proceed on a bike tour alone. Enjoy the ride and travel safe. Thanks again for sharing your blog. Thoroughly enjoying it.