Monday, November 4, 2013

Monday November 4


Hindu Temple Roof
Sleeping Buddha
     With a few hours to spare in Georgetown, I visited 3 Temples this morning.   First the Hindu temple at 7 AM.  Joan and I had walked through the grounds the night before and they had been very welcoming.  Joan was invited to meet the head Brahma and I talked to one of the priests about Canada.  The priest told me they opened at 7 so I was the first tourist there.  They held a very noisy ceremony with lots of bells and lots of fire.  I was allowed to wander anywhere but I was hesitant to take pictures of the worshippers,  so I left after 40 minutes.


                   
       After breakfast I went to the Sleeping Buddha temple.  It is a Thai temple with a 130 foot reclining Buddha.  All the tourist maps call it the Sleeping Buddha, but his eyes were definitely open.  Across the street was a Burmese temple with a Standing Buddha.  He seemed to be 60 feet tall but it’s hard to tell when you’re looking at his kneecaps. 
        Since we first started touring in Asia I have been practising the opposite of a Photo Bomb.  When I see somebody lining up a picture I sneak up behind the photographer and take a picture too.  I have lots of photos of people I don’t know.  A very pleasant girl from India posed for me after the couple asked me to take their picture with his camera.
Girl from Southern India
   Late in the afternoon we flew to the island of Sumatra.   Tomorrow the jungle!                 
                                 
Standing Buddha

3 comments:

Nancy B said...

Hello everyone:
Just quickly caught up on reading your amazing blog. Colors within the Hindu Temple Roof are awesome. The parasailing photos made me think of last year in Punta Cana (trip I won on CJAD Radio) where my sister and I bravely did the parasailing and it was out first time as well. Great stuff. So continue to enjoy your adventrue. Cannot wait to hear about the jungle. Travel safe.

QC said...

Dad you are so funny! So happy to hear you've turned into a "serious beach person" with your towels and everything, haha. Sounds and looks like so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Just wrote a Long message and couldn't get past the Robot check again.
Have fun.
Tim