Sunday, October 27, 2013

Thursday October 24


Back Alley Barber


The Prayer Room

The Great Mosque of Singapore
The girls went shopping and I went to the barber.  I found one in a back alley near China town and for the first time I had my haircut outside.   He was good and cheap - $6 for a cut and trim.  Afterwards I toured the Arab district in Singapore.  I was able to visit to Sultan Mosque.  The Mosque is impressive from the outside, but very plain inside.  I had to wear a gown, because I had shorts on, but it was provided free.  The massive prayer hall was almost empty and I took pictures through the door, but I was not allowed to enter.  I must have looked confused or religious because one of the monitors asked me if I was all right.  When I assured her I was just a tourist she gave me a 10 min intro to Islam.  I did not get around to asking about the place of women in the Mosque.
   That evening we went to Raffles Hotel and we all had a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar.  This is where the Singapore Sling was invented.                             
Caroline and Alister with Singapore Slings


No comments: