Monday, March 23, 2009

March 23 Tbong Khmum to Kampong Cham





After yesterday’s pain and suffering I had an easy ride today. 30km to Kampong Cham and there is even a bridge across the Mekong river. I started late, rode easy and arrived early. I stopped at a Buddhist temple for an hour and I was still at my destination by noon. After a shower and a leisurely lunch I went to the Internet café to upload my blog. It’s slow, but it works. In the area of Kampong Cham is the ruins of an eleventh century temple (Nicor Wat). I asked, at my guesthouse, where it was but he couldn’t understand me. When I came back downstairs with my camera and tripod a tuk-tuk driver was waiting. I think the guesthouse owner smelled an opportunity. For only $5 I had a lift to the site and a good dose of information too. Nicor Wat was built in the eleventh century, but unfortunately in 1922 a Buddhist temple was built right in the middle of the ruins. Total desecration! It is now the centre for Buddhist learning for Cambodian and a community of Buddhist building has formed around the ruins. They are colourful.

No comments: