Sunday, March 22, 2009

March 21 Go Dau to Svay Rieng Cambodia





I was up and on my way by 6:20 this morning and I crossed the Cambodian border at 9 AM. I don’t know what it is, but even though there were 50 people waiting they processed me right away. Can biking shorts really have that much effect on officials? So at 9:30 I was in Cambodia and it was hot. I stopped after half an hour at a small roadside café that had nobody in it. I ordered 2 waters and within 5 minutes there were 20 plus old ladies and young children sitting in a circle around me. When one old lady came up and touched me I got out my camera and took some pictures. It seemed to amuse them greatly when I showed them the results. I am going to change my lunch hour. By 11:30 I was hungry and I hit a town with lots of restaurants, but no cooks. Finally one lady boiled me up an instant noodle soup. It seems that the Cambodians eat lunch early and sleep from 11:30 to 22:30. I found a hotel and then went for a ride around the area. A rainstorm came up and I took shelter in a small Buddhist shrine. Then another family showed up (3 people) and them 2 more motorbikes pulled over. On the 3 motorbikes there were 10 people, not a bad average. The shrine we were in was strange. There was a Buddha, but on both sides of the Buddha there were boxes of human skulls. Judging from the mural behind the Buddha the shrine was commemorating the massacre of Khmer Rouge victims.

No comments: