Monday, March 23, 2009

March 22 Svay Rieng to Tbong Khmum





Today was a tough day. I started at 7 AM and I had planned to bike about 50km. The plan changed when the pavement ended and the villages shrank. I ended up doing 110km on dirt roads, some in very bad shape. I finished the day tired, sunburned and very very dirty.
I’m travelling light carrying only 1 litre of water. In Asia, no matter how rural you travel, it seems like every house is selling something. I bought water along the way and I ate a pineapple, ice cream sandwich (4 scoops in a bun), watermelon, spare ribs (I think), and noodle soup during the ride. I also had 1 sip of firewater - so bad it belongs in a gas tank.
Along the way I amused the locals by wearing my bike shorts, almost hit a cow, watched the villagers drain a pond so they could catch the fish and scared the water buffalo. I saw more of rural Cambodian than I bargained for.
Other observations: Young Cambodians speak excellent English, Cambodians are very friendly – 9 out of 10 children say hello and my smile muscles are sore, hot food is hard to find at midday. And my rear end is very very sore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,

Wow you really saw some serious countryside. The activity that is going on in that river is pretty interesting. Here's hoping you had a better day today. Call me when you can, hopefully I'll hear from you tonight.
Kath