Thursday, March 19, 2009

March 18 HCMC



Today I bought a bicycle and what a beauty it is. I went up to the bicycle district in town and visited about 5 bike stores. I was looking for a typical Vietnamese bike – single speed and a basket on the front. I found them for 2,500,000 to 3,500,000 VND (about $200 US). Then I went down a alleyway and found a used bike. It was love at first sight. It was dirty, rusty and good quality. The brakes worked, the chain didn’t slip, and the balance was very good. It also had 2 bells. I tried my best negotiating skills and failed miserably. I offered 700,000 VND and he countered with 1.8 million. We agreed on 1.6 million after about 1 hour. I did get a new saddle and an extra tube thrown in. When he came out with my new saddle, all the onlookers (about a dozen) started to laugh. They all thought I was getting conned because the replacement saddle was so small. I couldn’t be happier – it’s the closest thing to a racing saddle I’ve seen in Vietnam. They fixed it up and I rode home straight away. I went around 2 traffic circles and crossed one major highway on my new bike just like the Vietnamese. I didn’t stop once. What an exhilarating ride.
Oh, we also saw the Reunification Place this morning. It was nice.

3 comments:

nancy b said...

Hi there:

Am amazed at the shopping where one actually gets fitted for a bargain. Love the shoes! And hope the shorts turn out as planned.

Keep enjoying yourselves and travel safe,Tim, on your biking excursion. Brave to go out on your own like that.

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
I'm just catching up after having been away from a pc for a week. Jean and I are in England and due to go back to D on Sunday. Nice to read that you have been doing your bit for the economy. I can't wait to hear how you get on with your new bike. We will give Joan a call when we get back. Have fun.
Jean & Tim.

Tim Baker said...

Hi Nancy and Tim
The bike shorts are a bust. My rear end is sore.
Tim