Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 15 Hoi An





Having clothes and shoes made is an interesting learning experience. We got some things right and some not. Kath and I each had linen capris made that we both really like although we needed a bit of alteration which is included, of course in the price [$13]. I had brought a blue dress with me that I have always liked and had it copied . The tailoring was fine but my choice of material and colour leads me to believe that I will not wear this dress as much as I did the original. Kath had two shirts made in the same style copying a shirt she had brought with her . She is happy with one but not the second as the material is too heavy for a summer shirt. The best story is of Tim’s bicycle shorts which we brought to our tailor to have copied. They have a thick seamless lining to prevent seat sores. The first pair came back with regular cross seams –ouch for a long distance bike rider. We asked them to redo them with no seams –as they spoke very little English, there was a lot of gesturing on how those seams would hurt. They did redo them seamlessly but the lining is much thinner and Tim is pretty sure that these will not be good biking shorts. Hopefully, he is wrong because Kath and I actually ordered two pairs for him – good thing we are not spending big sums!
Kath has trouble finding shoes to fit her in Canada never mind in Vietnam so she had several pairs made.She got two pairs of really nice evening heels that she really likes and which fit well. She also bought two pairs of more casual shoes that were a little tight but we both said –they will stretch won’t they ? Kath wore a pair home on the plane and her feet were killing her so I am now the owner of those shoes as I really like them and they fit me well – I take one shoe size smaller than Katherine. I had a pair of my shoes copied and they seem to fit ok but have not been truly tested yet. So, our shopping experience was fun but not totally successful.
And we await the outcome on Tim’s bike shorts!!!

No comments: