Thursday, March 19, 2009

March 17 HCMC

We have returned to HCMC. This is the final stop before Joan flies home and I go for a bike ride. Joan did some final shopping and I picked up a Laos visa and some maps today. The visa was a challenge to my good humour. I went to the embassy twice, I sat in the waiting room for 2 hours, I paid $50 US, and I got a visa – all without speaking. The guard was sullen and the staff at the embassy didn’t talk - they just pointed and handed me papers to fill out. When they brought my visa out, they just stood there until I guessed they wanted money. When I left there I looked at the guard and we didn’t even acknowledge each other. I hope the real Lao people are different.
I am riding through Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. I am having trouble finding decent maps of the area. I have a good map of Vietnam but I lack maps of Cambodia and Laos. I went to the recommended book store today and they had 1 map. I bought it because I’m desperate, but I’m hoping I’ll find a country map when I cross the border. The map I bought is good because I can cut out the part I want and it will fit in my wallet.

No comments: