Friday, July 18, 2008

July 17; 114 km 1019m vertical, warm and humid

Wawa to Montreal River
We are back in the saddle again. After 3 days of lying in bed with my knees higher than my hips, we decided to throw caution to the winds and head for Sault Ste Marie. As a test I loaded up my bike and road once around the parking lot to see if everything worked. It did. Riding my bike is not hard on my back, but getting on and off my bike is a little more complicated than usual.
We left Wawa at 11 and headed south for Montreal River. I road slowly for the first 10 km and then I tucked in behind TimG and let him do all the work. The winds were not strong, but they were from the south so I biked in TimG’s slipstream most of the way. We stopped every 25km for a rest and granola bars. The road had major hills and we hit 3 uphills that climbed more than 4km and along the way we got some nice views of Lake Superior and it’s precipitous shoreline. The road went through Lake Superior Provincial Park for 89km and there were no motels, hotels or restaurants so we had to do 111km without our usual 1 hour tea and lunch break. When we hit Montreal River we headed for the restaurant we had seen advertised at the exit from the park. Unfortunately, it was no longer a restaurant, just a food store, but we did get a tea and some bad news - there were no motels open for another 50km down the road. While I was asking other customers about a campsite, the lady told me there was a resort with chalets just 3km away back down the steep hill we had just climbed. We now have a lovely (wooden) chalet on the shores of Lake Superior with a large patio window where we are watching the rain fall gently into the largest freshwater lake in the world.

PS from TG. Just in case you don’t already know: Lake Superior surface area 31700 sq. miles (that’s about one third the size of GB); East-West 382 miles N-S 160 miles; max. depth 1279ft; avg. depth 489ft; volume 3 quadrillion gallons; avg. temp. 40F (yep you don’t see anybody swimming in it); water turnover 191-199 years; tour around the lake 1300 miles.

No comments: