Friday, April 26, 2019

April 25 Tea Estate and Monasteries

The main Alter
We had a driver for the day and we toured around Darjeeling. We visited 2 monasteries and a tea estate. The Yiga Choeling is 150 years old and in need of restoration. This is the first monastery to allow photography inside and I gladly paid the $2 fee to use my camera. It was a nice compromise since I wanted to make a donation anyhow. When we arrived a monk opened the doors for us, sat and played on his iPhone while Joan and I took pictures then locked up when we left
The second Monastery posted signs saying 'no photography inside'. So I put my lens cap on and went in. I was inside for 10 minutes and during that time every adult that came in took out their cell phone and snapped pictures or selfies. Then 1 of the monks inside took out his cellphone and snapped a few pictures. I joined the crowd except I used my tripod. Joan said I got so dirty looks but I dumped $4 in the donation box and reckon I paid my way

The main Building

Two of five Buddhas


Tea fields near Darjeeling
In the afternoon we visited a tea estate We got a very good tour, the guide spoke only English but it was a group of 20 and we could barely hear her. But during the tea tasting she explained further and now we are tea experts. It's all in the processing. After the tour we wandered through the tea fields. For the second night in a row we ate supper from the street vendors. Their food is delicious and cheap. A filling meal for the 2 of us is $2. So far, so good!     

No comments: