Monday, September 17, 2018

Sept. 17th Otter Falls

The Northern Lights
On Sunday night I was out past midnight taking pictures of the northern lights.   I froze my fingers because I couldn't wear my mitts while I was operating my camera.  When my camera battery died I headed for home rather than changing the battery.  It was cold.


Otter Falls was on the $5 bill in the 50's. It is in the Yukon and not far from Haines Junction. The road to Otter Falls is 32 km of gravel, mostly 2 lanes wide. We passed 1 car on the 60 kms in and out. The falls were a disappointment since the water flow mostly goes to a power generating facility. Next to the falls is Canyon Lake which was a lovely place to eat lunch. On the way home we explored a few sites off the main highway – looking for a northern lights location.
Otter Falls

Joan at Otter Falls

 I was dressed in three layers because it was only 11º C. When a couple ran down the dock and jumped in the water I was impressed.
Yukoners are tough.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. The autumn colours are fantastic. Looking forward to more.
Love Jean & Tim