Saturday, September 17, 2011

2011-09-11 Sunday Bike adventure




We (Caroline, Barb, Tim and I )decided to rent bikes to ride along the Avon –Kennet canal which runs alongside the Avon River. We took a taxi to a little village outside of Bath to rent our bikes. The cab driver stopped en route to show us his favourite view of the valley, which was very beautiful.    
After having our bikes fitted for us, we set off in sunshine. The canal was full of canal houseboats, which are long and very narrow in order to fit through the locks and the canal bridges, which cross the Avon in places. We found it really interesting that the canal was built on high ground above the river and that along the bike path you could look at the canal on one side or the river down a long slope on the other side. We biked to the town of Bradford-on-Avon, a town which had caught our eye from the train as we passed. We even biked a few kms further as we were enjoying the ride so much. We returned to Bradford for lunch and browsed through the town, which was another pretty spot.
Canal Boat
On the way back, I had the unfortunate luck to tumble sideways off my bike as I was coming to a stop. I did a fairly soft landing but somehow managed to cut my leg either on the pedal or the fender. It was a long and deep cut which landed me by ambulance in Bath hospital needing 28 stitches to close it up. As a result, I am now on crutches until next Wednesday when I have my stitches removed. We had to cancel our trip to Germany unfortunately.
Charlotte, a friend of Caroline’s, has lent Tim a bike so that he is happily riding each day. I stayed put with a good book for the first 4 days but am now venturing out for short trips.

No comments: