Tuesday, September 13, 2011

2011-09-09 Friday travel to London.

York Minster
The Shambles
We woke up to pouring rain but by the time we headed to the train it had stopped.  We decided to stop over at York since it had received rave reviews in the guide book.  We got off the train and walked into town.  Within 200meters we had passed through the city gates and the Minster (Cathedral) was in sight.  The history of the Minster goes back to 900 AD, but when you see the window that has been there since 1150 you realize how old it is.  There is more stained glass then I have ever seen before.  The size and height of the Minster impressed me. I walked around looking up.  Barb and I walked up the 280 steps to the top of the tower.  We only had to pay £4.50.  The narrow steps went up in 2 sections.  My legs were a bit rubbery when I got to the top.  The view was worth it. After the Cathedral we wandered the streets of York.  There is a large area of pedestrian traffic only. The lane called The Shambles was very appealing with old half timbered houses over-hanging the narrow street.  

 

No comments: