Friday, April 30, 2010

April 17 Visit to farm village


I took a bus to the first farm village I could see, about 7km down the road. The village was not that photogenic since walls surrounded every house. But each house seemed to have a courtyard. The gates were all closed and when I found one open and asked to take pictures she refused and closed her door. In the next street a little old lady invited me in for a bowl of rice, but I wanted to take pictures so I declined. The standard of living is hard to estimate in a village like this. The houses are well maintained and repairs and new construction are happening everywhere.

At the same time several villagers are washing their clothes in the river. Lots of old men are sitting around smoking, yet many old women are working hard, carrying heavy loads of firewood and produce on their backs. China is a complex society.

TENGCHONG08, TENGCHONG09, TENGCHONG10

No comments: