Sunday, March 8, 2009

March 6 Hanoi to Halong Bay




We boarded the bus in Hanoi and drove for 3 hours to Halong Bay. As usual we drove through beautiful scenery and didn’t stop. We saw thousands of rice patties right beside the road and surrounding little towns, but the only stop was a concrete gas station. We arrived at noon and boarded the boat – a large junk that had 12 cabins. Joan and I had cabin number 1 on the upper deck and we had a little balcony we shared with the only other cabin on the upper deck. The scenery in Halong Bay exceeded my expectations. Even in the semi fog the islands were awe-inspiring. Large limestone monoliths rise straight up out of the ocean. The view is 360 degrees. And as we travelled, more inspiring scenery kept appearing. We crammed a lot into day 1. We landed on an island and toured a cave. There are several large caves throughout the bay. After the cave, Katherine and I kayaked through the islands for an hour and then we boarded again for more spectacular scenery before supper. At dark we anchored in a bay and Joan and Katherine enjoyed Baileys coffee whilst I sipped beer and the universe was in order.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joan,Tim and Katherine;Nice that you had a little trip together . You two ladies seem to have the ideal way to end the day with a Bailey's. Still miss you . Our weather is slowly warming up. I'm really enjoying your trip. Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hey hey,

I made it home smoothly, no problems getting to the airport (the Jet Star bus was just across the road they dropped me off on, don't know if you saw that when you drove by). I even got a gift on the plane for flying on International Women's Day!! Going to book my tickets to Da Nang tonight. Hope you are having a nice time, I think it's sunnier in Hanoi now??
Kath

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom and Dad,

Was in Montreal this weekend and stopped by the house. It is still standing. Trip sounds great so far. Dad, I got your message and will purchase some skype credits and call you. carolines number is 514-290-7946.

Love you, talk to you soon.

Andrew