Friday, July 25, 2008

July 25; 127 km 605m vertical, hot and sunny

Orillia to Bowmanville
Tim’s keen to get to his mum and dad’s place so he had me up well before 8 for an early start. We were on the road just after 9 aiming to arrive around 4pm. As it was hot and sunny right from the start we decided to take a 10min. break every 20km to try and avoid doing too much too soon and getting dehydrated. We managed the 80km to Port Perry inside 4hours so we stopped there for our lunch break and then made good time for the rest of stage and, despite having to battle a head wind for the last 30km, we arrived on his parents doorstep at 4:02. That’s better timekeeping than the Bundesbahn can do these days.
The Rickards Red was out of the fridge and on the patio table before I’d got my gloves off and boy did it taste good. When I had the second one in my hand I started to wonder if it was really necessary to get on my bike tomorrow to start on the 500km to Montreal in the next 4 days. I think I can feel a bad back coming on so I’ll just crawl into bed. Night night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tim and Tim!

Good to see you're getting on well and I hope everything is fine for the next 500 K's! Have you considered doing it in just three days? You'd then have a rest day, where you could start drinking beer in the morning already. Just a thought...

Take care, Steven & Katja.

Anonymous said...

Yay for making it to Bowmanville. I want a full report on how much you enjoyed Nana's cooking and baking! :) Back in Vancouver tomorrow for the last cruise. Got my flight details and will be home August 3rd at 9:35pm. Can't wait to see everyone - Tim, Tim, Jean and Joan then!!
Katherine