Sunday, July 20, 2008

July 20; 124km, 444m vertical, hot and humid



Iron Bridge to Espanola
We got a quick start this morning. We were off at 9:20 without breakfast because we wanted to eat in Blind River 26km down the road. We got to the restaurant at 10:30 - and loaded up on sausage, eggs, toast and coffee. Then after a few pictures of Blind River we on the road again.

We headed due east into an east wind and the day was hot and humid. I always carry 2 bottles of Gatorade, each 1.2 litres and today for the first time I used both before we finished the day. We had planned to stop along the way to eat and drink, but we stopped at the wrong place today. The whole store had only junk food and junkier food. I was short of Gatorade so tried a bottle of vitamin water and a Nutribar. Both were pure sugar. Twenty km later we came to Massey and my head was floating 2 feet head above my body and I was having trouble keeping my bike on the road. We stopped at the Country Cook restaurant and each had 2 bowls of the soup of the day and the largest pot of tea we’ve seen to date. The nourishment worked wonders and we carried on to Espanola, our stop for the night.

Near Massey we passed a horse drawn carriages travelling along the shoulder of the Trans-Canada. We were faster than 2 horses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim and Tim, looks like a better week ahead and hopefully Timmy B the back will hold together.
Rob and I were at the BC Lions game on Friday nite and we did raise a toast of Stella to your good health and the courage to continue.
Remember won't be long till the sweet smell of potine and steamies drives you on.
Bob in Vancouver.

Anonymous said...

Good job it was a map you washed and not paper money, as has happened to me before, not quite so amusing. Food certainly seems to be a huge feature on this trip, I keep expecting to hear about waffles, maple syrup and ice cream, or am I in the wrong place?

Hope the back holds out Tim B, but at least you have your own personal nurse with you!

Happy cycling

Love Marion xx

Anonymous said...

Hi to both of you
Sorry to have missed your call tonight Tim but I'm glad you're both back on the road and making good progress.Looking at Marion's comments I seem to remember paper getting wet in your pockets before (money), or was it Dave? Remember Skeggy boating lake!!!
Best Wishes

Orest & Tina