Thursday, September 27, 2018

Sept. 27 Tombstone Territorial Park

First Light

It was another early start as I drove to Tombstone to attempt the Grizzly Lake hike. This time the weather was beautiful – cool but sunny. I started hiking a half hour before sunrise. I expected the hike to take 1 ½ hours to the first lookup and 1 more hour to the second lookup. The trail to the second lookout was much more challenging than the first lookout. The trail through the scree was difficult to follow since I was always looking down. I needed to look up every 15 meters to check I was still on the trail. When I went through areas of solid snow I used the footprints from a previous hiker (Anthony) to follow the trail. I found the checkpoint, took my pictures and headed back down. Going down was as difficult as going up. When going from a snowy patch to a rocky section, my boots were slippery for the first few steps. Also the sun had melted the mud in places and the track was greasy. In the end it took 2 ½ hours to ascend and 10 min less to descend.
Tombstone Mountain
In the afternoon Joan and I walked around Dawson in the sunshine, and we took pictures of the western style buildings.  Dawson is the second largest town in the Yukon.  It has 2,200 people and the main town is 8 blocks by 8 blocks with most buildings nicely restored.

Dawson  - Front Street

1 comment: