Friday, November 6, 2015

November 6 Rangoon

Cargo Ship on Rangon River

Guardian Lion at Temple


Buddha on the Cobra Throne
Joan and I started with a visit to the post office for post cards and stamps. Then we took a ferry across the river to Dallah. Yangon(formerly Rangoon) is on the Yangon river about 5 km from the ocean. There is constant traffic on the river with boats of all sizes coming and going and fishing right in front of the city. On the Dallah side of the river we took rickshaws for a tour of the countryside and pagodas. We enjoyed the fishing village, but the rickshaw drivers have a con going with a visit to a tsunami ravaged village. My driver kept pointing out ruined homes and telling me the residents had no food. Then he told me we had to make a contribution to the tsunami fund of 1 bag of rice We ended up at the local gangster's house who had several bags of rice available of differing quality for only $55 each. I realized now I was being set up but it still cost me $10 to get out of there. Then after the ride I had to haggle for the cost of the rickshaws. The drivers brought in the head shark who informed me how I had cost his drivers lost wages by being 10 minutes over time, He had to listen to my retired senior story and we came to an good agreement but I didn't have enough local currency. So we haggled over exchange rates and I paid him in Singapore dollars. I think I lost that argument too.
Elephant Fountian in Peoples Park
In the afternoon I returned to the Shwedagon Pagoda to take more pictures. I was impressed by the people this time. At the entrance I stopped to put on my sari and the 2 girls behind the counter started to giggle. Then one girl came out and helped me put it on. She knew exactly what to do and my sari stayed in place for the next 3 hours without any problems. Later on I was taking a water break, sitting on the stairs when an old monk approached me. He asked about my family and then introduced me to his grandchildren who were skipping along beside him. When he was leaving he asked me if I was christian and when I said yes, he gave me a christian blessing which was very moving. What a role model! After the sun had set and the sky had darkened I headed to the park across the road to take more pictures As I was leaving they turned on the dancing waters and music. What a nice finish.

No comments: