Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Monday October 8, 2012


Walterboro SC to Hilton Head Island SC; 120km 239m vertical climb

We got another early start this morning and the route was flat and fast.  Another sign of the south is the Spanish Moss on the trees.  Our first stop was near a cemetery with Spanish moss covering all the trees.  As we headed towards Hilton Head, the landscape became swampy with tidal inlets and large grassy areas.  We saw several White Ibis and Great Blue Herons take flight as we rode past.  


We have been riding the back-roads and scenic byways through most of our trip, but as we neared Hilton Head we encountered more traffic in two hours than in the last 2 days.   Things are booming in Hilton Head. We are staying the night with friends we first met in Germany 35 years ago.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hope you are enjoying your stay with the Palmers.
Love to you all.
Jean

Nancy B. said...

Hi there Tim's

Am catching up on your blog. I find myself going back to previous read days as I find your bike trip amazing. Cannot imagine the thrill you both must be enjoying.

I lucked out again on Tuesday morning with Montreal radio station CJAD, Tim B. I won an Air Canada trip south. CJAD has yet to confirm to me the details but I was so excited. Part of the conversation with Andrew Carter asked me where I worked. Many listeners have since contacted me after hearing Nancy B. from Magog working at Eastern Townships School Board. Joan sent me a cool congrats!! Was very thoughtful of her and will let you know where I'll be soaking up the sun and sand this winter.

I especially loved your photo of the antique store in Goldstone. The mailboxes were exceptional as well. Great Stuff.

So continue to travel safe and the enjoy the ride.

Nancy B.