Saturday, March 6, 2010

March 6 HCMC



March 6: I borrowed Katherine’s bike and went for a ride. Within 2 km I came across a Cao Dai temple. Cao Dai is a religion assembled in Vietnam in 1926. It is a mixture of Buddhism, catholicism, and taoism. I stopped in and was met in the front hall by a tour guide/janitor/apostolate. He was studying a book on Cao Dai all the time I was there. The whole atmosphere of Cao Dai is welcoming. There seem to be no restrictions or taboos. I was invited to take as many pictures as I wanted even during the ceremony and I was free to wander around. My guide took me to the most photographed spots and then left me to wander. He came back to check every 15 min. and at one point asked me to move so the people could pray. Then he tried to explain why they were praying by themselves (newbies practicing). After they finished praying he turned on neon lights on the alter so I could continue with my photography. When I was finished I tipped the guide but I must have tipped too much. I was invited downstairs for tea (and I never refuse a cup of tea). After 2 cups of tea and a piece of cake wrapped in banana leaves I was finally on my way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems great Dad!! Hope you are enjoying being back in Vietnam!
Love Caroline

nancy b said...

Hello Tim & Joan

Wow!! Good to see that the both of you are re-visiting Vietnam and you are enjoying the tea service, Tim.

I will certainly look forward to reading your tour info in the coming days.

Travel safe.

Nancy B.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great time already. The snow is going fast. i miss you both. Look forward to your reports. Sharon

Anonymous said...

The Bellevillians are looking for an udate on your adventure