Tuesday, March 3, 2009

March 2 Ben Tre (Mekong Delta)





We went for a bike ride again this morning and then took a Motorscooter taxi into Ben Tre. Taxi cars are hard to find in the delta so Joan (under great duress and stress) climbed onto the back of a scooter one last time. Ben Tre is on a branch of the Mekong River and is a busy port. It also has a huge market that was filled with fishmongers. There were more kinds of fish then I could ever name. Alongside the fish were the shellfish and the snakes. The surprise was the locals doing their shopping without getting off their scooters. Even in the covered market scooters were driving right up to the vendors and leaning over to select the produce. Most of the scooters are between 50 and 100cc’s. But they are all 4 stroke engines and still pollute. Ben Tre is connected to an island just offshore by a footbridge. Again the crush of scooters was incredible. I created a traffic jam when I stopped to take pictures. We stayed long enough in Ben Tre to take pictures of the sunset and then we took the motorscooters back to the hotel in the dark.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THERE HAS BEEN NO COMMENTS SO FAR ABOUT THE QUANITY OR QUALITY OF THE COUNTRIES BEERS.
IS THIS BECAUSE JOAN IS ALONG THIS TIME AND NOT EURO TIM?????
LOVE THE PICTURES. ITS CERTAINLY DIFFERENT FROM CANADA.
SHEILA

Anonymous said...

Hi

What a trip!!! & the pics are wonderful. I would love to be there with you and Joan...so much to see, so much to do. I am looking for to the stories when you get back.

Cheers

Ernie

Anonymous said...

Tag zusammen,
Sheila beat me to it. I had started to wonder if you have turned teetotal. If that is the case it will be no fun going on any more bike tours with yer. I liked the look of that fish. Hope it tasted as good as it looked. Looking at everybody on bicycles makes me wish I was with you and not here. It hasn't stopped raining for about 30hours so no cycling yesterday and today. The RTF season opens on Sunday and I hope to ride but the forecast is horrible.
Have fun.

Jean & Tim
PS Hello Sheila and Ernie!!!!!!!!