Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Feb 17: Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC)


We arrived in HCMC last night, right on time. We picked up our visas at the airport and then our luggage. Everybody was so helpful it was amazing, however we were the last people on the last flight and they were all waiting for us so they could go home. Katherine met us and we were soon at her place (the castle) and finally got into bed at 12:30 Tuesday.
PART 2 UPDATED
On Tuesday I started the day with a 30 min taxi ride. I picked the first motorcycle taxi I could find and climbed on. The whole theory behind the traffic flow in HCMC is “timing is everything”. You aim to just miss the person crossing in front of you, and then both you and he hold steady. This applies to both traffic at intersections and pedestrians crossing the street. It helps if you have worked for the RCMP musical ride. After the ride I am convinced that it would take years to learn how to drive in HCMC.
Joan and I then walked around the city for the rest of the day. We started with the market right outside Katherine’s house. I both some stuff to eat (probably pork) but she gave me way to much. What I did eat was very good. Then we walked to the reunification palace and Had our first cup of HCMC white coffee. This is a strong coffee with sweet thick milk syrup. It tastes lovely, but it can’t be the healthiest drink. After more food and drink we returned to Katherine’s place for wine on the rooftop. Oh that was nice!

No comments: